Target Stores Report Debit/Credit Card Breach
A debit/credit card breach has been reported by Target stores. This means that card information was captured and could be used for fraudulent transactions. If you know that you did not use your debit or credit card at a Target store in the time period 11/27/13 – 12/18/13, you do not have to worry about being affected. If you used your card at a Target store and entered your PIN number (a PIN-based transaction), you do not need to worry about being affected.
We will be receiving a list from Shazam (our card processor) regarding cards that have been affected, and we will be contacting customers identified on that list.
In the meantime, some action you can take:
- If you have questions or concerns, or if you suspect that fraudulent activity may have occurred on your account, call Farmers Savings Bank at 641-752-2525 and talk to a personal banker. Outside bank business hours call Shazam at 1-800-383-8000.
- Put the Shazam phone number in your cell phone contact list: 515-288-2828. This is the number that will show in the caller id and be identified if Shazam is calling with a specific transaction. Due to this situation, Shazam may call you to ensure that a transaction is legitimate; if they cannot reach you, the transaction will be denied.
- If you have problems using your card you can call Shazam directly at 1-866-508-2693.
- Use your PIN number instead of a signature transaction. Signature based transactions are more likely to be denied due to the type of breach that occurred, and PIN-based transactions will be processed within the normal parameters that have been established for your account.
If you are identified as a customer on the Compromised Card list, Shazam will be monitoring your card activity very closely and may decline transactions if they cannot make contact with you to approve the transaction. This is for your protection! Some situations that could result in a transaction being declined are:
- You are traveling and using your card in an area where the zip code doesn’t begin with a “5”.
- The card is swiped and there is no PIN.
- The transaction amount is greater than $100.00.
As always, Farmers Savings Bank recommends that you monitor your bank statement and account activity. This is easy and convenient when you use Farmers Savings Bank Online Banking. If you see suspicious activity, contact the bank or contact Shazam.
Your FSB Personal Bankers are:
Dee or Tabatha in Marshalltown
Marianne or Susan in Beaman
Nicole in Green Mountain
Shazam Phone Calls
Your accounts are monitored for debit card fraud. We help prevent fraud by regularly reviewing your accounts for unusual debit card activity. If suspicious debit card transactions are identified, it is possible that you may get a call, on our behalf, from Shazam to alert you to these transactions. However, Shazam representatives will never request any confidential information about you or your account. If you receive a phone call where someone is requesting your personal information, account number, etc., DO NOT give it to them. If you are uncomfortable about speaking with the representative about your account activity, please call the bank as soon as possible. Thank you!
Contacting Shazam Directly
If your ATM or debit card has been lost or stolen, or if you have detected fraudulent card activity on your account, contact Farmers Savings Bank immediately during regular business hours at 641-752-2525. Outside normal hours you should call Shazam directly at 1-800-383-8000.